CANADIAN FEDERATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN EDMONTON
ACADEMIC AWARDS FUND
2018 MARGARET BRINE GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR WOMEN
Value: $3,000 or more.
The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) is a national, non-profit, non-governmental organization of women and an affiliate of the Graduate Women International. The Margaret Brine Graduate Scholarship program was established by CFUW Edmonton in 1985.
While not associated with the University of Alberta, CFUW members are committed to the pursuit of knowledge, promotion of education, improvement of the status of women and of human rights, and active participation in public affairs in a spirit of cooperation and friendship.
Margaret Brine (1898-1985), a long-time member of CFUW Edmonton and a liberal contributor to its Academic Awards, left a major bequest to endow our scholarships at the University of Alberta. She held a BA and MA in Classics from the University of Alberta and studied in Paris at the Sorbonne. Believing that “Money is something to give away,” she also generously supported the arts in Edmonton.
ABOUT MARGARET BRINE SCHOLARSHIPS
Full-time female graduate students in any University of Alberta Department are eligible to apply for Margaret Brine Scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to women who have demonstrated academic excellence and who embody the values of CFUW. Four scholarships will be awarded, two at Master’s and two at Doctoral levels. An individual can be awarded only one master’s or one doctoral scholarship per degree. If no candidates for a scholarship are deemed sufficiently qualified, no award will be issued.
Award recipients and runners-up will be notified by April 7, 2018. No other applicants will be contacted. Awards will be presented at the CFUW Edmonton year-end event in May 2018. Also, scholarship recipients will be asked to give a short presentation of their research at CFUW Edmonton’s January 2019 meeting.
- be female (or self-identify as female), full-time students at the University of Alberta in all four terms.
- be registered in a research and thesis based degree program.
- Master’s students must have completed at least ONE TERM of their Master’s program at the University of Alberta, and have received grades for courses taken at the graduate level, as confirmed by the official University of Alberta transcript, with a minimum University of Alberta GPA of 3.8 for Fall Term 2017.
- Doctoral students must have completed at least ONE YEAR of their Doctoral program at the University of Alberta, and have received grades for courses taken at the doctoral level, as confirmed by the official University of Alberta transcript, with the most recent University of Alberta GPA being a minimum of 3.8.
- Students expecting to complete all degree requirements in time for Fall Convocation 2018 are not eligible to apply.
Please click here to download and print the 2018 Margaret Brine Scholarship Application form (non-fhttp://www.cfuwedmonton.org/2018-margaret-brine-graduate-scholarships-for-women-application-form/illable).
If you experience any difficulty downloading and printing this form, please email email@example.com
For additional information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use the subject header: CFUW Edmonton scholarship.
Submit the complete application package, in a sealed envelope, addressed to:
Margaret Brine Graduate Scholarships for Women
CFUW Edmonton Academic Awards
The Office of the Dean of Students
SUB 5-02, University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2J7
It must be received NO LATER THAN 4:30 P.M.
on WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2018.
The Academic Awards Committee will NOT consider incomplete or late applications.
PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS OF MARGARET BRINE SCHOLARSHIPS