Our 2017-2018 membership year starts in June officially but we don’t meet over the summer so most of the membership pays their dues August – September, most paying at our first meeting of the year occurring the 3rd Monday in September. The membership dues for 2017-2018 are $150 for regular members ($65 for student members), this gives you membership in CFUW Edmonton, CFUW Alberta, CFUW national, and Graduate Women International (formerly International Federation of University Women).
September 18th general meeting is the best meeting of the year to find out more about CFUW, however any one of our meetings can be attended by a person interested in joining, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend a general meeting as a guest so that we can welcome you when you arrive. Our meeting schedule has details of each 2017-2018 meeting.
To download a printable version of the 2017-2018 CFUW Edmonton Membership Registration form, please click here
- provides opportunities for fellowship and support
- encourages advanced study and research by women
- encourages the pursuit of lifelong learning
- strives to advance human rights
- safeguards and improves the economic, legal and professional status of women
- researches and presents resolutions for consideration at the CFUW’s Annual General Meeting
- advocates for CFUW policies at the local level.
CFUW Edmonton members are brought together through mutual interests for fellowship and learning. As a CFUW Edmonton member you can:
- attend monthly meetings on educational, cultural and social issues with an emphasis on the status of women and girls; each meeting features a guest speaker(s) from within the Edmonton and/or Alberta community
- join one of our many interest groups on a wide range of topics; e.g., bridge, club history, environment, fibre arts, film, health, healthy gourmet, hospitality cooking, lunching out, random readers book clubs
- administer and provide Academic Award Fund bursaries and scholarships for University of Alberta female undergraduate and/or graduate students
- become an advocate; e.g., present local environmental issues to decision makers;
try to compel government to ensure quality health care.
When you join the Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) Edmonton, you automatically become a member of the following three other related organizations:
- CFUW Alberta Council consists of five CFUW clubs in Alberta: Lethbridge, Calgary, Calgary North, Strathcona County and Edmonton. Alberta clubs host the annual spring meeting on a rotating basis and all CFUW members are encouraged to attend.
- Our national federation, CFUW, founded in 1919, currently has a membership of 107 clubs across the country. The national office is in Ottawa, but the Annual General Meeting is held, in a summer month, in the city of any one of the member clubs. Club delegates vote on business matters, including establishment of policy, but any CFUW member is welcome to attend the AGM.
- The Graduate Women International (GWI) is based in Geneva, Switzerland and is comprised of National Federations or Associations (NFAs) in over 60 countries. Both GWI and CFUW have consultative status at UNESCO Status of Women meetings in New York each spring. GWI also has volunteer advocacy teams, acting on GWI policy, attending UN meetings in New York, Vienna, Geneva and Paris. The Federation’s general business meetings and workshops are held every three years in a city of a member country, and while CFUW sends voting delegates, any CFUW member is invited to attend.